Monday, 22 February 2021

All the "nebbiolo" of Langhe and Roero

A bunch of Nebbiolo, the most cultivated vine in Langhe and Roero A bunch of Nebbiolo, the most cultivated vine in Langhe and Roero

Nebbiolo is the main grape variety of the Langhe and Roero hills and its "sons" are the most prestigious wines of these hills.

Nebbiolo grapes are versatile: they read the soil where they are planted and are expressed in very different wines. The vinification and aging methods also change from area to area, making Nebbiolo the most versatile grape variety in Langhe and Roero. A real Zelig of viticulture, capable of manifesting itself in ever new forms and shades.

What are the types of wine obtained from Nebbiolo in Langhe and Roero? Let's find out together.


1. Barolo DOCG
Without doubt the best known and most famous Nebbiolo. The name derives from the homonymous village located in the western Langhe, the heart of production. However, Barolo is vinified in a territory that includes 11 municipalities, each of which with particular characteristics. If we had to simplify, however, we could say this: Barolo is a well structured and balanced wine, able to improve over time, full-bodied and deep, always elegant; a classic for meditation with aromas of rose and violet, ripe fruit, spices and, as an aftertaste, a slight hint of licorice. Barolo, to be such, follows a strict disciplinary which provides for an aging of at least 38 months, which becomes 62 for the "Riserva" version.

2. Barbaresco DOCG
Somehow related to Barolo, Barbaresco is vinified in the eastern Langhe, on the border with the Moscato and Barbera di Asti area. The soil of these lands gives Barbaresco a distinctive scent of vanilla, cinnamon, green pepper, raspberry, fruit jam and hazelnut. Barbaresco is a noble wine, slightly less complex than Barolo, extremely pleasant. The Disciplinary provides for an aging of at least 20 months, which is 50 for its "Riserva" version.

3. Roero DOCG
Considered the Roero "cousin" of Barolo, this wine is made from pure Nebbiolo grapes. It is grown on the sandiest soils of the Roero, the hills on the left bank of the Tanaro river. It is a delicate Nebbiolo, with aromas of strawberry, raspberry, rose and geranium. Carlo Alberto of Savoy was so in love with this "mist" that he bought several vineyards to supply the Castello di Pollenzo cellar (cellars that are now revived thanks to the Wine Bank within the University of Enogastronomic Sciences). The minimum aging for Roero Docg is 20 months, 32 for its "Riserva" version.

4. Nebbiolo d'Alba DOC
Produced between the Barolo and Barbaresco areas, it has the characteristics of both: full-bodied and ready for aging. But it is more delicate and can be drunk significantly younger. The specification allows it to be placed on the market after 12 months, or 18 for its "Superiore" version. The color is ruby ​​red then garnet, the scent combines the fruity scents of raspberry, geranium and wild strawberry with the ethereal and spicy ones of cinnamon and vanilla, the flavor, totally dry, has a remarkable structure, where alcohol, acidity and extract create sensations of harmony and elegance.

5. Langhe Nebbiolo DOC
This is the Nebbiolo of the Langhe, but also of the Roero because the term "Langhe" was also extended to the municipalities on the left bank of the Tanaro river. Langhe Nebbiolo is therefore produced in 54 municipalities of the Langhe-Roero hilly area, on a territory that roughly reaches Mombarcaro from the municipality of Montà d'Alba, including Mondovì and Vicoforte. NThe Langhe Nebbiolo must be at least 85%, while the remaining 15% may come from grapes suitable for the vinification of Piedmontese reds. Its scent is reminiscent of violets and raspberries: it is a dry, robust wine, with an important body and well-identifiable, more or less soft tannins.

PRIVACY POLICY
COOKIE POLICY
CREDITS 
promosso da
×